For Uganda’s Pre-Adoptive Families
- The Ugandan Babies’ Homes require that families must be Christians who are active participants in a community of faith and who are committed to raising their children in their faith.
- Married couples and single women are eligible to adopt.
- Prospective adoptive parents must be at least 25 years of age. There is no upper age limit, although parents over 50 will be encouraged to adopt an older child rather than an infant. Prospective adoptive parents must be 21 years older than the child they hope to adopt.
- There are no limits regarding the number of other children in the family.
- Prospective adoptive parents must be in good health.
- Prospective adoptive parents must show that they are able to financially provide for a child.
Beginning June 2016, all prospective adoptive parents must reside in Uganda for at least 1 year before beginning any adoption processes.
For married couples, both parents must travel to Uganda for court. Families can make 1 long trip lasting approximately 9 weeks, or 2 shorter trips with the first trip that lasts approximately 10 days and a second trip that lasts approximately 4 weeks. Both parents must travel for court, but only 1 parent needs to return for the second trip.